priests & paramedics

“Ivan Illich was once asked what is the most revolutionary way to change society. Is it violent revolution or is it gradual reform? He gave a careful answer. ‘Neither. If you want to change society, then you must tell an alternative story.” • Tim Costello

15 February 2007

John Mayer

So I have this friend who raves about John Mayer. He frequents his blog. He just went to his latest South Florida concert. He thinks the guy's the latest incarnation of Robert Johnson. He longs to hear Mayer tell him that his body is, indeed, a wonderland.

I dispute this of course. But my argument against the credibility of John Mayer has never been his musical acheivements, or anything really. My argument has to do with his audience.

It's all 15-year-old girls.

Case in point: check out this video. It's from a recent concert (Oklahoma City on February 3rd of this year). In it you'll see sweet John make every pre-pubescent girl's dream come true, and in the process, get deafened by the cacophony of screams from said young women.

6 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger Fay said...

I love the picture you chose. I'm a girl and I love, ahem, like John Mayer's music, so I guess I can't opine. You might enjoy this:
http://branthansen.typepad.com/letters_from_kamp_krusty/2007/02/from_the_archiv.html

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Fay said...

oops. here it is, w/ correct HTML

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger John said...

i watched the video twice and i have no idea what was happening...am i that out of touch with Jr high girl culture? hopefully so

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Brad & Stacey said...

hang on a second, freakin' hypocrite, you introduced me to John Mayer via a ringtone on your cellphone

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Rick Hunter said...

Full disclosure: I own all three of Mayer's albums and enjoy listening to them. I just don't think he deserves to be listed among the who's who in important music right now.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Hahahaha! I love that picture! Oh, and .... you had a John Mayer ringtone on your phone?!!! Boo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home