priests & paramedics

“Ivan Illich was once asked what is the most revolutionary way to change society. Is it violent revolution or is it gradual reform? He gave a careful answer. ‘Neither. If you want to change society, then you must tell an alternative story.” • Tim Costello

29 August 2006

Even the Wind and the Waves

This latest hurricane/tropical storm (Ernesto for the uninformed) has caused me to reflect on my own self-reliance.

See, just a couple of months ago we had impact windows installed in our house. I bought a generator in case the power grid gets wiped out like it has before. I'm about to take one last hot shower... just in case. I bought my gallons of water (actually Dede did, but I'll take credit - she doesn't know how to edit this blog). I am completely in control of my environment.

Or am I?

Today I reflected upon Mark 4 - the story of Christ and his disciples in a boat in the middle of a lake when a giant squall overtakes them. The disciples, like me, rest on their own resources and intuition, and not in the one who sleeps through the storm.

I pray for that faith.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger SomeOne said...

Oh! I missed the reporters exclaiming about "how those palm trees are bending." Bummer.

Rick, your writing is nothing less than incredible. God bless you, even if you do have different musical tastes than me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home