priests & paramedics

“Ivan Illich was once asked what is the most revolutionary way to change society. Is it violent revolution or is it gradual reform? He gave a careful answer. ‘Neither. If you want to change society, then you must tell an alternative story.” • Tim Costello

11 July 2006

Sigur Rós - Glósóli

Good design sucks me in every time.

For example, several months ago, as I perused the aisle of the record store, I came across what looked like a strangely illustrated children's book. When I looked at this supposed "book," I found it to be a CD by an Icelandic band with a name I wasn't sure how to pronounce (incidentally, it sounds a little like "see-or rose").

I had no idea what I was getting into at the time - I imagined them sounding like Teitur or Damien Rice. As any fan (or detractor) of Sigur Rós can attest, they sound nothing like either one of those artists. Their sound is beautiful, ethereal, majestic, and downright wierd - kind of like Radiohead without the chaos or hopeless nihilism... all sung in unintelligible Icelandic. But somehow it works.

What you see posted is their video for Glósóli, from their album "Takk..." It won “Best Rock Video” at the Creative & Design Awards back in June, and is the most watched video in EMI history.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home