priests & paramedics

“Ivan Illich was once asked what is the most revolutionary way to change society. Is it violent revolution or is it gradual reform? He gave a careful answer. ‘Neither. If you want to change society, then you must tell an alternative story.” • Tim Costello

23 February 2007

Etymology

Several have asked, "what in the heck is the name 'Priests and Paramedics' all about?"

I've blown them (or you) off, but here's the scoop.

In a nutshell, it's a song by Pedro the Lion (née David Bazan). I'll explain at another time my uderstanding and the significance as to why I've christened my online presence with this name.

Here are the lyrics:

Paramedics brave and strong
Up before the break of dawn
Putting poker faces on
Broken bodies all day long

The neighbors heard a fight
Someone had a knife
It must have have been the wife

Husband's lost a lot of blood
He wakes up screaming "Oh my god!
Am I gonna die... am I gonna die?"
As they strapped his arms down to his sides

At times like these they've been taught to lie
"Buddy just calm down, you'll be alright"

Several friends came to his grave
His children were so well-behaved
As the priest got up to speak
The assembly craved relief
But he himself had given up
So instead he offered them this bitter cup:
"You're gonna die, we're all gonna die
Could be twenty years, could be tonight."

Lately I have been wondering why
We go to so much trouble to postpone the unavoidable
And prolong the pain of being alive

2 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Marquito said...

I actually like Pedro The Lion, though the lyrics are somewhat depressing. I think his honesty is what resonates most. My favorite song of his is "Letter from A Concerned Follower".

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Rick Hunter said...

"Letter from A Concerned Follower" was the song that turned me on to Pedro in the first place.

And for the record, I'm not planning on blowing my brains out. I just love the contrast between the compassionate lie and the harsh, ungracious truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home